THE ENGINE SHED SOCIETY 
This page is not now being updated. It has been superseded by www.engineshedsociety.co.uk/index.shtml
 

Photographs Good Shed Guide Links Books   ESS Home Page
Contact us Link Magazine Membership Form Information Request Gone With Remembrance AbRail Home Page

THE GOOD SHED GUIDE                                   click to go to alphabetical listing               NEW - Diesel/Electric Supplement

Compiled by Philip Stuart, with a bit of help from the research of Dave McGuire, Paul Smith, the late Stephen Bull and other site explorers.

Many members will have seen the lists of surviving sheds published in "Steam Railway" (May 1991) and "Railway Magazine" (September 1996), but surprisingly the ESS's own journal last attempted a comprehensive list in 1990, more than a decade ago (LINK 13, pp6/7). More than 20 survivors have turned up since then but, as there now seems to be practically no chance of any further discoveries, a new revision appears timely. In this instance, sheds are categorised and graded according to what there is left to see. Note that at some sites only one of several buildings still stands, and at others what remains is less than the full width of the original shed.

a) 38 SHEDS WITH TRACK STILL IN USE

AVIEMORE, DIDCOT, STAVELEY BARROW HILL, SWANAGE and TUNBRIDGE WELLS WEST are preserved as working steam sheds. BARRY, CARNFORTH LMS and SOUTHALL are used for storage or restoration of steam locomotives. ABERYSTWYTH and ALFORD have been converted to narrow gauge sheds, joining NEW ROMNEY, RAVENGLASS, TOWYN PENDRE, LLANBERIS SMR and CORRIS MAESPOETH, though the latter currently has only diesels. BRISTOL SOUTH WALES JUNCTION, CARDIFF CANTON, DONCASTER, LONGSIGHT, MOTHERWELL and perhaps MELDON QUARRY service diesel locomotives; LEEDS NEVILLE HILL overhauls HST power cars; HULL BOTANIC GARDENS, INVERNESS (1855), MACHYNLLETH and NEWTON HEATH maintain dmu's. RAMSGATE, SLADE GREEN and STRAW­BERRY HILL are EMU depots,. PORTMADOC BOSTON LODGE is a carriage shed. AYR, BRISTOL BARTON HILL, LANGWITH JUNCTION and the straight shed at ST.BLAZEY are wagon works; CRIANLARICH, HITHER GREEN and RYDE house pw machines. ABERDEEN (1850) has had track reinstated as a museum.

b) 84 SHEDS WHICH STILL LOOK LIKE ENGINE SHEDS

Four historic roundhouses, CAMDEN, DERBY, LEEDS HOLBECK NER and ST.BLAZEY deserve a category of their own. Among straight sheds prizes for sympathetic restoration could go to NEWPORT DOCK STREET, RICHMOND and HORLEY, perhaps with LITTLEHAMPTON, ROSS, HULME END and SNAILBEACH as runners up. Among sheds serving as showrooms, stores, warehouses, offices and garages, those maintained in good, weatherproof condition include CALSTOCK, CLAY CROSS, FORFAR, HULL DAIRYCOATES, KILMARNOCK, LILLIE BRIDGE, ORPINGTON, POTTON, PURLEY, SHREWSBURY COTON HILL, TWEEDMOUTH and WHITTINGHAM. Those in rather rougher use, as workshops, council depots, barns, etc., plus those temporarily unoccupied, form the largest category: ABERGAVENNY Engineer's Dept., ASH, BLAIR ATHOLL, BOROUGHBRIDGE, CAERSWS, CARLISLE CURROCK,CARNFORTH MR, DARLINGTON GNoE, DARLINGTON S&D, DENBIGH, DOLPHINTON, ELGIN I&A, EPPLEBY, FRASERBURGH, GLYNCEIRIOG, GREENHEAD, HAWKHURST,  HIGH WYCOMBE, HORNSEY, HYTHE, KENTISH TOWN, MACDUFF, MALMESBURY, MELTON CONSTABLE, MORETONHAMPSTEAD, NEWHAVEN TOWN, NEWPORT DOCKS, NEWTON STEWART, NORTHAMPTON FAR COTTON, NORTHAMPTON MR, PETERBOROUGH WATER END, PICKERING, PWLLHELI, RADSTOCK GWR, REEDSMOUTH, RETFORD GNR, ST.BOSWELLS, SHILDON, STAFFORD GJR,  TAFFS WELL, THAXTED. TRAWSFYNYDD, WELLINGBOROUGH and WHITBY. At the bottom of the range, abandoned or in scrapyard or other basic uses, BALLACHULISH, DINTING, FAVERSHAM, GAINSBOROUGH, KERRY, MOLD JUNCTION and STRANRAER are at least better served than the virtual ruins at BEDFORD MR (1886), BESCOT, BOSTON Sleeper Depot, and HENSALL JUNCTION. At all these sites, photographers should not have too much difficulty in capturing views suggesting nothing substantial has changed since the last engine moved off shed. Such views are more restricted at BANGOR, CHELTENHAM HIGH STREET, LUDLOW, MILLHOUSES, REDCAR and ST.HELENS GCR owing to the addition of extensions.

c) 23 SHEDS WHICH CAN BE RECOGNISED IF YOU LOOK HARD ENOUGH

Extensions are even more of a problem at ASHBURTON, CHELTENHAM MALVERN ROAD, EDENHAM, MANSFIELD, MOAT LANE, TEMPLECOMBE S&DJR and WICK, while LINCOLN GNR, OSWESTRY is effectively concealed within a larger structure. The walls of ABERCYNON, NEASDEN LT and WARRINGTON DALLAM are also hidden by modern industrial cladding. Naturally, many of the foregoing have been re-roofed (as they would have been by now had they seen another half century of use by steam locomo­tives), but apart from the lack of smoke vents their profiles are substantially unchanged. That is not the case with ABERBEEG, BEXHILL WEST, DANYGRAIG, DISTINGTON, ELGIN GNoSR, HORNINGLOW, HORWICH, SKIPTON and STAFFORD LNWR, where unsympathetic changes in roof design have destroyed much resemblance to the buildings' original function. HOLYHEAD SOLDIER'S POINT would also belong here though, despite its inclusion in the "Directory", it remains doubtful whether it was ever a steam shed.

d) BITS OF 11 SHEDS

The front of SIDMOUTH was rebuilt as an office and a rear corner of BEDFORD MR (1868) was converted to house p.w. machines. One side of STEWARTS LANE, the rear of CANNON STREET  ROSEBUSH QUARRY still stand as derelict fragments. Sections of walls remain in place, incorporated into new buildings at CLEOBURY TOWN, EXETER, GLAN-Y-PWLL RUGBY and YORK NORTH. Components from NORWICH CITY have been re-erected at Weybourne.

e) OTHER BITS AT 101 SITES

At a number of sites, what is left of the shed building itself is less interesting than other remains. The repair shops at BELLE VUE, GLOUCESTER HORTON ROAD, HAYMARKET, LEEDS HOLBECK MR, LEICESTER MIDLAND, and POLMADIE still repair rolling stock, even if only p.w. machines; TAUNTON is now derelict. Stores or shed offices survive at BLAYDON, CAMBRIDGE GER, CORKERHILL, DUNBAR, ENFIELD TOWN, IPSWICH, OXLEY, PERTH LMS, STIRLING CR, SUNDERLAND SOUTH DOCK and THORNTON JUNCTION, and cabins or huts at FORRES, KINGHAM, MARCH, PENMAENPOOL and PENRITH. The stabling point at YEOVIL JUNCTION retains a working turntable, as does TYSELEY which also has an intact coal stage. Remnants of the coating facilities can be seen at CREWE GRESTY LANE, GRANTON, IMMINGHAM, PANTYFFYNNON, RICCARTON JUNCTION, ROBIN HOOD, SOWERBY BRIDGE and YATTON, and of watering provision at BATTERSBY, CHESHAM, FOCHABERS TOWN, KINNERLEY JUNCTION, PORTESSIE and TROON HARBOUR. Returning to actual shed buildings, single walls remain in place, either incorporated into new structures, as at KEITH GNoSR, as free-standing boundaries, etc., and side walls of ABBOTSBURY and at BICKLEY, BRUNSWICK, CROMFORD, EARLESTOWN WAGON WORKS, HENLEY ON THAMES, MILNGAVIE, MOOR ROW, ST.HELENS BEMBRIDGE and WHITEINCH, or as retaining walls at DERBY FRIARGATE, KILSYTH, LOW MOOR, NORTH BERWICK and PERTH NBR. A retaining rear wall and a side wall also still stand from the Stock Shed adjacent to CREWE NORTH. What were once party walls with sheds survive in the adjoining buildings at ACCRINGTON, BARROW and BURY.
Miscellaneous fragments can be found at ASHTON (Teign Valley), BOSTON, BRENTWOOD, BRIMSCOMBE, DALMALLY, HITCHIN (1850), LINCOLN PYEWIPE, MALDON, ROTHBURY, STAMFORD LNWR, TALYLLYN JUNCTION, TIPTON, WIDNES and WORKINGTON CENTRAL. Bases of walls, and walling below floor level where sheds were built on uneven ground, remain at ARBROATH, ARDROSSAN NORTH, BIRKENHEAD TOWN, BLAENAU FESTINIOG, BLETCHLEY, BOURNEMOUTH, CARDIFF BUTE ROAD, CASTLETON BLUE PITS, DUMFRIES, EASINGWOLD, FALMOUTH, KNOTTINGLEY, LEEDS NEW STATION, MERTHYR, OKEHAMPTON, PEMBROKE DOCK, PERTH NORTH HR, SALISBURY LSWR, SHEFFIELD NEEPSEND, SPRINGS BRANCH, STRATFORD-UPON-AVON (1859), SUNDERLAND HENDON, TREHERBERT, WAINFLEET, WINCHESTER CHESIL and YARMOUTH BEACH.  The lower walls of KILLIN LOCH TAY, though buried on the outside, now enclose a garage. At CLEE HILL the remains of wooden props, which buttressed the walls, may still be found.

f) FLOORS AND PITS AT 87 SITES (plus 7 others)

Obviously lots of inspection pits lie buried and hidden, perhaps waiting centuries before future archaeologists dig them out. Many shed floors are gradually disappearing under encroaching vegetation, others occasionally reappear as the ground is cleared for re-use. The foundations of BODMIN GWR, ROWSLEY and WIRKSWORTH have had new engine sheds built upon them. Probably the best naturally preserved pits are at LEADHILLS, ROSEDALE and WYMONDHAM. As for the rest, the following list is a guide (more extensive and less provisional than it might have been, thanks to a second opinion from Stephen Bull) to what may still be visible, perhaps depending on the season: ABERGAVENNY MONMOUTH ROAD, AINTREE, BANBURY, BOAT OF GARTEN, BURY ST.EDMUNDS, BUXTON LNWR, CARLIN HOW, CARLISLE CANAL, CARLISLE KINGMOOR, CHIPPENHAM, COLNE L&YR, DARLINGTON BANK TOP, DINAS MAWDDWY, EASTBOURNE, EVESHAM GWR, FARNLEY JUNCTION, FELTHAM, FROME, GIRVAN, GOOLE, HASLAND, HELLIFIELD MR, HUDDERSFIELD, ILKLEY, KIRKBY STEPHEN, LEICESTER GCR, LEOMINSTER, LEYBURN, LLANDOVERY LNWR, LOSTOCK HALL, MIDDLESBROUGH, NEW CROSS LT, NORWICH CITY (original site), ONGAR, OXENHOLME, OXFORD GWR, PLYMOUTH DOCK, PLYMOUTH LAIRA, PORTMADOC, REDHILL, ROYSTON, SEVERN TUNNEL JUNCTION, SPURN HEAD, STAMFORD GNR, THIRSK, TOTON, TREDEGAR, UTTOXETER, WAKEFIELD, WANTAGE TOWN, WARRINGTON ARPLEY, WATLINGTON, WEST HARTLEPOOL, WORCESTER, WORKINGTON, YEOVIL PEN MILL and YORK SOUTH. In addition, traces of turntable pits remain at ABERDEEN FERRYHILL, ABERFOYLE, ALNMOUTH,  BASINGSTOKE GWR, BERVIE, BOWES BRIDGE, BROMSGROVE, CHARNWOOD FOREST JUNCTION, FAIRFORD, GOODWICK, GOWHOLE, HELMSDALE, MARYPORT, NORMANTON, OBAN, PATELEY BRIDGE, PEEBLES CR, PETERBOROUGH WOODSTONE, RUABON, SCARBOROUGH, TAIN, WEMYSS BAY, WHITCHURCH and WOLVERHAMPTON STAFFORD ROAD.

The cavern dug out of the side of a cutting at WAPPING BANKHEAD, apparently to stable locomotives, is still there. In 1863 PRAED STREET JUNCTION was evidently excavated rather than built, so retaining walls probably survive inside the present-day London Underground premises. "Directory" includes a few more surviving structures once put to temporary use as engine sheds: viaduct arches at DEPTFORD, tunnels at DIGGLE and WAPPING, the earliest part of BRISTOL TEMPLE MEADS station, the 1834 terminus at SELBY and the carriage shed at CARLISLE UPPERBY, to which in conclusion SHILDON SOHO Works may perhaps be added.

This is not to say that there is nothing to see anywhere else. Though all the BR sheds have long since been checked, a large number of early sites listed in "Directory" remain to be explored. There is a slight possibility of further category d) or e) fragments turning up - there are almost certainly some category f) remains awaiting discovery. For all the marvels of the Internet, all the aerial photos and O.S. maps, nothing but foot-slogging will find the last few visible patches of brick shed flooring. As for the last rubble-filled pit, a fleet of ESS mechanical diggers with unrestricted site access would be kept fully occupied for years...!

AN EX-DIRECTORY SUPPLEMENT

A further 14 steam-age sheds, broadly classified as industrial and therefore excluded from the "Directory", are still in use. Those at SCUNTHORPE Steel Works and the military railway at BICESTER GRAVEN HILL service diesels. Another military shed, LONGMOOR, has been re-erected at Grosmont. Industrial sheds re-sited for use on preserved lines are HARSTON (at Cottesmore), SWANNINGTON (at Shackerstone) and ESHOLT (at Armley Mills). MARLEY HILL, DUNASKIN WATERSIDE, SNIBSTON, TELFORD HORSEHAY, LEIGHTON BUZZARD PAGE'S PARK and GILFACH DDU (ex-Dinorwic Quarry) are also preserved. On the Isle of Man DOUGLAS and PORT ERIN continue to function.
Another 20 or so, out of rail use but still intact and recognisable, have been reported in the past, but there are probably plenty more awaiting discovery, while some listed may have gone by now. PHILADELPHIA (Lambton) and SPRINGWELL BANKFOOT (Bowes) survive from the coal-carrying lines around Newcastle. Other colliery sheds remain at SNOWDOWN (East Kent), STANHOPE CRAWLEY BANK, FOXFIELD, MUIREDGE in Fife,  WROXTON and BLOXHAM, the latter derelict, are all that is left from the Oxfordshire ironstone lines; other quarrying survivors are at AMBERLEY and CRICH DIMPLE LANE. The sheds at CANTLEY SUGAR FACTORY, ELY SUGAR FACTORY and IRLAM SOAP WORKS still stand and from the Manchester Ship Canal Railway, MODE WHEEL remains, as do military sheds at CHELLASTON and GRETNA. From the Welsh narrow gauge, PORT PENRHYN and two Padarn Railway sheds, LLANBERIS and PENSCOINS, survive, as do a forestry line shed at KERRY and possibly DOLGARROG, from a reservoir construction railway. Cornwall has a survivor fro 1854 at DEVORAN (Redruth & Chasewater), a diesel depot from1939 at PENTEWAN and an MoD shed at WACKER QUAY. In Devon a depot for target trolleys on an artillery range can be found near OKEHAMPTON CAMP and mineral line sheds at TORYCOMBE (Lee Moor) and CANTRELL (Redlake) still stand, though the latter is a ruin. RIDGE WHARF survives from the clay-carrying lines around Poole Harbour, and WRYDE from the agricultural lines in the Fens.
THRELKELD, near Keswick, is now part of a quarry museum.

A DIESEL/ELECTRIC SUPPLEMENT

Just as once modern diesel and electric locomotives and multiple units are now classed as "heritage", the depots built for them perhaps now deserve a mention here. Some remain in regular service; others have been used for storage of withdrawn stock, for refurbishment work, for commissioning new stock, or have been adapted to service pw machines. Some recent closures still have a security presence to preserve them for possible re-opening. Those listed below have passed out of main line rail use, while such major depots as Cricklewood East, Finsbury Park, Reddish and Tinsley have already been demolished.
Two small diesel servicing sheds have been re-erected on preserved lines: HEATON MERSEY at BRIDGNORTH SVR and MARCH at WEYBOURNE NNR.
LINCOLN's
dmu depot became a bus garage, COCKSHUTE and RIPPLE LANE are in commercial use and CRICKLEWOOD's short-lived emu depot is now a freight terminal.
BUXTON is disused, is the emu depot at BIRKENHEAD CENTRAL and smaller diesel servicing sheds at CARLISLE NEW YARD, THORNTON YARD (the first of two depots there) and WELLINGBOROUGH are derelict.

 

Narrow Gauge Sheds
Shed Rly Closed Gauge Condition/Current Use
BOSTON LODGE FR 1946 1' 11.1/2" [T] carriage shed
CALSTOCK ECMR 1908 3' 6" removals storage
CANTRELL RT 1932 3' 0" derelict, roofless
DEVORAN R&CR 1915 4' 0" house
DOUGLAS IOMR 3' 0" [T] engine shed (in use)
FURZEBROOK FBR   2'8" Disused
GLAN-Y-PWLL FR 1946 1' 11.1/2" [T] pw depot
GLYNCEIRIOG GVT 1935 2' 4.1/2" Disused (To be preserved)
HULME END L&MR 1934 2' 6" Disused
HYTHE RH&DR 195? 1' 3" engineering workshop  (note 1)
LLANBERIS (GILFACH DDU) PR 1969 1' 10.3/4" storage for Llanberis Lake Rly (note 2)
LLANBERIS (GILFACH DDU) PR 1961 4' 0" disused
LLANBERIS SMR 2' 7.1/2" [T] engine shed (in use)
CORRIS MAESPOETH COR 2' 3" [T] engine shed (in use)
NEW ROMNEY RH&DR 1' 3" [T] engine shed (in use)
OKEHAMPTON CAMP MoD   2' 6" disused
PAGE'S PARK LBR 2' 0" [T] engine shed (in use)
PENSCOINS PR 1961 4' 0" builders store
PENTEWAN PDCC 1966 2' 6" boathouse
PORT ERIN IOMR 3' 0" [T] engine shed (in use)
PORT PENRHYN PER 1962 2' 0" fisherman's store
RAVENGLASS R&ER 1' 3" [T] engine shed (in use)
RIDGE FBR   2'8" Disused
SNAILBEACH SDR 1946 2' 4" [T] preserved
TORYCOMBE LMT 1945 4' 6" English China Clays store
TYWYN PENDRE TR 2' 3" T] engine shed (in use)
WACKER QUAY MoD 2' 6" disused

Notes:        1.    The turntable outside HYTHE shed is still in use by RH&DR. no track enters the shed. 
                   2.    Technically the LLANBERIS (GILFACH DDU) 1'10.3/4" shed which was re-gauged to 1'11.1/2" after 1971 
                           by the Llanberis Lake Railway, was the shed for  the works  internal system, feeding slate to the 4'0" "main line" 
                           system. It has been included because, where else can you find three surviving narrow gauge shed  in one town, all with 
                           different gauges!!!           
                    3.    It should be noted that some sheds now back in use as engine sheds on preserved railways did have a period of 
                           closure before re-opening.

NARROW GAUGE RAILWAY COMPANY ABBREVIATIONS

COR    Corris Railway
ECMR   East Cornwall Mineral Railway
FR     Ffestiniog Railway 
FBR    Furzebrook Railway (Dorset)
GVT    Glyn Valley Tramway
IOMR   Isle of Man Railway
LBR    Leighton Buzzard Light Railway
L&MR   Leek & Manifold Valley Railway
LMT    Lee Moor Tramway
MoD    Ministry of Defence
PDCC   Pentewan Dock & Concrete Company
PER    Penrhyn Railway
PR     Padarn Railway
R&CR   Redruth & Chasewater Railway
R&ER   Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway
RH&DR  Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway
RT     Redlake Tramway
SDR    Snailbeach & District Railway
SMR    Snowdon Mountain Railway
TR     Talyllyn Railway

Alphabetical Listings

Dates are closure to steam:   [T] = Track still in existence
PART ONE - Main buildings (or parts) still exist
SHED RLY CLOSED CONDITION/CURRENT USE
ABBOTSBURY GWR 1896 barn, no roof
ABERBEEG GWR 1964 industrial use
ABERCYNON GWR 1964 industrial use - Birse Rail
ABERDEEN CR 1908 being converted to Royal Deeside Railway Heritage Centre
ABERGAVENNY LNWR 1921 council depot
ABERYSTWYTH GWR 1965 [T ng] shed for VoR
ALFORD   first shed GNoSR 1??? [T ng] shed for Alford Valley Rly
ASH SER 1946 garage
ASHBURTON GWR 1958 Guests Joinery
AVIEMORE HR 1962 [T] Strathspey Railway - working steam
AYR G&SWR 1966 [T] section (3 roads of 6)inc. wagon works
BALLACHULISH CR 1962 disused but in good condition
BANGOR LNWR 1965 steel stockholder
BARRY BarryR 1964 [T] disused wagon works - used for loco storage
BEDFORD first shed MR 1886 [T] rear corner incorporated in small shed for pw machines
BEDFORD second shed MR 1963 derelict
BELLE VUE MR 1956 Delta Containers Ltd
BESCOT LNWR 1966 [T?] derelict
BEXHILL WEST SECR 1936 furniture store
BLAIR ATHOLL HR 1962c store
BOROUGHBRIDGE NER 1886 crane sales depot
BOSTON SLEEPER DEPOT LNER 1950's commercial use. (roofless)
BRISTOL DAY'S ROAD B&GR 1873 [T] as Barton Hill diesel service depot and wagon works
BRISTOL SOUTH WALES JUNC GWR 1877 [T] as Barton Hill diesel service depot and wagon works
CAERSWS CamR 1922 being converted to offices/units. Outside to be restored.
CAMDEN ROUNDHOUSE LNWR 1871 restored to theatre
CANNON STREET SER 1926 rear section survives with electrical substation in front
CARDIFF CANTON GWR 1962 [T] part of straight shed inc. in diesel depot
CARLISLE CURROCK G&SWR 1924 [T] to be demolished
CARNFORTH LMS 1968 [T] preserved - used for restoration
CARNFORTH MR 1944 animal feed store
CHELTENHAM HIGH STREET MSWJR 1935 warehouse/car repairs
CHELTENHAM MALVERN  RD GWR 1963 timber yard
CLAY CROSS MR 1905c tramway museum store
CLEOBURY TOWN CMDPR 1938 remains incorporated in new workshop
CRIANLARICH UPPER NBR 1930 [T] pw depot
DANYGRAIG R&SBR 1960 Gower Chemicals stores
DARLINGTON GNofE 1865? steel fabrication
DARLINGTON S&D NER 1877 car spares
DENBIGH LNWR 1955 plant hire
DERBY  No.1 roundhouse MR 1890? [T] preserved
DIDCOT GWR 1965 [T] GW Society - working steam
DINTING GCR 1954 disused
DISTINGTON C&WJR 1931 agricultural use
DOLPHINTON NBR 1933 agricultural use
DONCASTER GNR 1966 [T] section (4 roads of 14)survive as diesel depot
EDENHAM E&LBR 1872 Farm Stables
ELGIN I&AJR 19?? commercial use - listed building
ELGIN EAST GNoSR 1961 council lorry depot
EPPLEBY NER 19?? workshop
EXETER GWR 1963 [T] side walls survive inc. in diesel depot
FAVERSHAM LCDR 1959 derelict section (2 roads of 4)
FORFAR CR 1964 vehicle bodies
FRASERBURGH GNoSR 1961 fish box store
GAINSBOROUGH GCR 189? disused
GREENHEAD N&C 1838 garage
HAWKHURST SER 1931 store for Kent Woodcare Co.
HENSALL JUNCTION H&BR 1914 most walls and turntable pit
HIGH WYCOMBE GWR 1870 garage
HITHER GREEN SR 1961 [T] section (3 roads of 6)as pw depot
HOLYHEAD SOLDIER'S POINT HBT 1966 Stena Line Workshop
HORLEY LBSCR 1861 factory shop
HORNINGLOW LNWR 1960 Coors brewery transport depot
HORNSEY GNR 1961 [T] store for electrification depot
HORWICH L&YR 1928 Industrial use (both ends)
HULL BOTANIC GARDENS NER 1959 [T] dmu maintenance
HULL DAIRYCOATES NER 1967 commercial use
HULME END L&MVLR 1934 Visitor Centre/Cafe
IMMINGHAM GCR 1966 Coaling plant survives
INVERNESS HR 1863 [T] dmu maintenance
KENTISH TOWN MR 1963 two adjoining roundhouses as Murphy Contractors depot
KERRY CamR 1931 barn
KILMARNOCK G&SWR 1877 whisky store
LANGWITH JUNCTION LDECR 1966 [T] one of two shed buildings survives as wagon works
LEEDS HOLBECK LeedsNR 1904 commercial use
LEEDS NEVILLE HILL NER 1966 [T] HST repair shop
LILLIE BRIDGE LT 1971 part of LUL depot
LINCOLN GNR 1964 enclosed within a new structure
LITTLEHAMPTON LBSCR 1937 disused
LONGSIGHT LNWR 1965 [T] two shed buildings as diesel depot
LUDLOW GW/LNWR 1951 timber store
MACDUFF GNoSR 1951 net store
MACHYNLLETH CamR 1966 [T] dmu maintenance
MALMESBURY GWR 1951 exhaust centre
MANSFIELD MR 1960 industrial use
MELDON QUARRY BR 1966 [T] Camas Aggregates
MELTON CONSTABLE BR 1951 potato store
MILLHOUSES MR 1962 disused (currently being demolished)
MOAT LANE L&NR 1962 industrial use
MOLD JUNCTION LNWR 1966 scrapyard
MORETONHAMPSTEAD GWR 1947 Thompson's Transport depot
MOTHERWELL CR 1967 [T] diesel depot
NEASDEN LT 1971 [walls
NEWHAVEN TOWN LBSCR 1963 port civil engineer
NEWPORT DOCK STREET GWR 1929 business units
NEWPORT DOCKS ADR 1898 docks workshop
NEWTON HEATH L&YR 1968 [T] 3 road repair shop section incorporated into dmu maintenance depot
NEWTON STEWART G&SWR 1959 To be converted to a rail themed restaurant
NORTHAMPTON FAR COTTON LNWR 1881 civil engineers
NORTHAMPTON ST. JOHNS MR 1924 [T] disused - listed status
NORWICH CITY LNER 1959 Dismantled and frame re-erected at Weybourne on North Norfolk Railway
ORPINGTON SECR 1926 traincrew office
OSWESTRY CamR 1965 industrial use
PETERBOROUGH EAST GER 1939 disused - listed building
PICKERING NER 1959 empty - awaiting council decision
POTTON S&P 1862 store
PURLEY SER 1927 engineers depot
PWLLHELI BR 1966 Abersoch Land and Sea
RADSTOCK GWR 1929 [T] disused
RAMSGATE SR 1960 [T] section (4 roads of 6)forms rear of emu depot
REDCAR NER 1863 commercial use
REEDSMOUTH NBR 1952 farm use
RETFORD GNR 1965 disused
RICHMOND NER 1933 Gemini Health Club
ROSEBUSH QUARRY GWR 1882 ruin!
ROSS-ON-WYE GWR 1963 Bailey Homes & Garden Centre
RYDE - first shed IoWR 1874 [T] part of pw depot
SHILDON NER 1935 engineering
SHREWSBURY COTON HILL GWR 1883 refurbished as apartments
SIDMOUTH LSWR 193? front section of shed as office
SKIPTON BR 1967 council depot
SLADE GREEN SECR 1926 [T] part of emu depot
SOUTHALL BR 1965 [T] - used for restoration 
ST BLAZEY (semi-roundhouse) CMR 1962 industrial use - listed building
ST BLAZEY (straight) CMR 1896 [T] wagon works
ST BOSWELLS NBR 1959 currently not in use
ST HELENS GCR 1928 disused
STAFFORD GJR 1852? Racal Railway Communications
STAFFORD LNWR 1965 Palbourne Industrial Park, re-roofed 1988
STAVELEY BARROW HILL MR 1965 [T] preserved 1998 - working steam
STRANRAER G&SWR 1966 King Brothers scrapyard
STRAWBERRY HILL LSWR 1923 [T] emu depot
SWANAGE LSWR 1966 [T] preserved - working steam
TAFFS WELL RR 1922 Blakey's Place CNC Engineers
TEMPLECOMBE BR 1951 bonded store in Marconi complex
THAXTED GER 1953 garage
TRAWSFYNYDD GWR 1961 barn
TUNBRIDGE WELLS WEST LBSCR 1965? [T] preserved - working steam
TWEEDMOUTH NER 1966 warehouse (Dove Supplies Ltd)
WARRINGTON DALLAM LNWR 1967 filter fabricators
WELLINGBOROUGH MR 1966 one roundhouse as warehouse
WHITBY NER 1959 preserved - The James Cook Trust
WHITTINGHAM WHospR 1957 NHS Trust garage
WICK HR 1961 supermarket
YORK NORTH NER 1967 [T] rebuilt as N.R.M.
PART TWO - Bits of sites including offices, walls, pits, floors, etc.
ABERDEEN FERRYHILL CR/NB 1967 pit complete with turntable
ABERFOYLE S&AR 1951 traces of turntable pit
ABERGAVENNY MONMOUTH RD N&HR 1932 floors and/or pits
ACCRINGTON L&YR 1899 parts of walls
AINTREE L&YR 1967 floors and/or pits
ALNMOUTH NER 1966 traces of turntable pit
ARDROSSAN NORTH L&AR 1931 miscellaneous fragments
ASHTON TEIGNV 1908 miscellaneous fragments
AVONMOUTH GWR/MR 1924 traces of turntable pit
BANBURY GWR 1960 floors and/or pits
BARROW FR 1874 rebuilt as works
BASINGSTOKE GWR 1950 Traces of original turntable pit
BATTERSBY JUNCTION NER 1895 watering facilities
BERVIE NBR 1919 traces of turntable pit
BICKLEY LC&DR 1901 parts of south side wall
BIRKENHEAD TOWN C&BR 1878 miscellaneous fragments
BLAENAU FESTINIOG LNWR 1931 miscellaneous fragments
BLAYDON NER 1965 BR office block
BLETCHLEY LNWR 1965 miscellaneous fragments
BOAT OF GARTEN GNoSR 1958 floors and/or pits
BODMIN GWR 1962 new shed on old foundations
BOSTON GNR 1964 parts of rear & side walls
BOURNEMOUTH LSWR 1967 miscellaneous fragments
BOWES BRIDGE NER 1962 coaling ramp and turntable pit
BRENTWOOD GER 1949 miscellaneous fragments
BRIMSCOMBE GWR 1963 miscellaneous fragments
BRISTOL BATH ROAD GWR 1960 floor
BRISTOL TEMPLE MEADS GWR 18?? early part of station used as temporary mpd
BROMSGROVE MR 1964 turntable pit and base of coal stage
BRUNSWICK GCR 1961 one side wall survives
BURY L&YR 1965 parts of walls
BURY ST EDMUNDS GER 1959 floors and/or pits
BUXTON LNWR 1968 floors and/or pits
CAMBRIDGE GER 1962 parts of rear & side walls and stores block
CARLIN HOW NER 1921 floors and/or pits
CARLISLE CANAL NBR 1963 floors and/or pits
CARLISLE KINGMOOR CR 1968 floors and/or pits
CASTLETON BLUE PITS L&YR 1878 miscellaneous fragments
CHARNWOOD FOREST JUNCTION LNW/MR 1928 remains of turntable pit
CHESHAM MET 1960 watering facilities
CHIPPENHAM GWR 1964 floors and/or pits
CLEE HILL GW/LNW 1960 miscellaneous fragments
COLNE L&YR 1936 floors and/or pits
CORKERHILL G&SWR 1967 staff amenities building
CREWE GRESTY LANE GWR 1963 remnants of coaling facilities
CREWE STOCK SHED LNWR 1950 retaining rear wall and side wall
CROMFORD C&HPR 1966 part of South-West side wall
DALMELLY C&OR 1930 miscellaneous fragments
DARLINGTON BANK TOP LNER 1966 floors and/or pits
DEPTFORD L&GR 1903 viaduct arches
DERBY FRIARGATE GNR 1955 North side wall & part of rear corner
DINAS MAWDDWY CAMB 1931 floors and/or pits
DUMFRIES G&SWR 1966 miscellaneous fragments
DUNBAR NBR 1963 stores building
EARLESTOWN WAGON WORKS LNWR 1963 parts of wall
EASINGWOLD EAS'D 194? miscellaneous fragments
EASTBOURNE LBSCR 1968 floors and/or pits
ENFIELD TOWN GER 1960 BR office block
EVESHAM GWR GWR 1961 floors and/or pits
FAIRFORD EGR 1962 traces of turntable pit
FALMOUTH GWR 1925 some remain
FELTHAM LSWR 1967 floors and/or pits
FOCHABERS TOWN HR 1931 watering facilities
FORRES I&PR 1959 cabin/hut
FROME GWR 1963 floors and/or pits
GIRVAN M&GR 1940 floors and/or pits
GLOUCESTER HORTON ROAD GWR 1965 [T] disused repair shop
GOODWICK GWR 1963 floors and/or pits
GOOLE L&YR 1967 excavated pit
GOWHOLE MR 1967 traces of turntable pit
GRANTON EL&GR 1964 remnants of coaling facilities
HASLAND MR 1964 floors and/or pits
HAYMARKET NBR 1963 [T] repair shop survives as part of diesel depot
HELLIFIELD MR 1963 floors and/or pits
HELMSDALE HR 1961 traces of turntable pit
HENLEY ON THAMES GWR 1958 parts of walls
HITCHIN GNR 1850 miscellaneous fragments
HOLYHEAD LNWR 1966 floors and/or pits
HUDDERSFIELD LNWR 1967 floors and/or pits
ILKLEY MR/NER 1969 floors and/or pits
IPSWICH EUR 1959 parts of sidewall and office block
KEITH GNoSR 1961 north wall incorporated in warehouse
KILLIN - LOCH TAY CR 1965 garage within bases of walls
KILSYTH NBR 1951 parts of walls
KINGHAM GWR 1962 cabin/hut
KINNERLEY JUNCTION S&MR 1960 watering facilities
KIRKBY STEPHEN SD&LUR 1961 floors and/or pits
KNOTTINGLEY L&YR 1922 miscellaneous fragments
LEADHILLS CR 1939 naturally preserved pit
LEEDS HOLBECK MR 1967 repair shop as part of pw depot
LEEDS NEW STATION NER 195? miscellaneous fragments
LEICESTER GCR GCR 1964 floors and/or pits
LEICESTER MIDLAND LMSR 1966 [T] repair shop as diesel depot
LEOMINSTER GWR 1962 floors and/or pits
LEYBURN B&LR 1954 floors and/or pits
LLANDOVERY LNWR LNWR 1964 floors and/or pits
LOSTOCK HALL L&YR 1968 floors and/or pits
LOW MOOR L&YR 1967 parts of walls
MALDEN EAST ECR 1959 miscellaneous fragments
MARCH GER 1963 floors and/or pits
MERTHYR GWR 1964 miscellaneous fragments
MIDDLESBOROUGH NER 1958 floors and/or pits
MILFORD HAVEN MILF 1962 watering facilities
MILNGAVIE NBR 1928 one side wall survives
MOOR ROW LMSR 1954 parts of walls
NEW CROSS LT MET 1884 floor
NORTH BERWICK NBR 1958 parts of walls
NORMANTON L&YR 1968 traces of turntable pit
NORWICH CITY L&FR 1959 floors and/or pits
OBAN C&OR 1963 traces of turntable pit
OKEHAMPTON L&SWR 1964 miscellaneous fragments
ONGAR GER 1949 floors and/or pits
OXENHOLME LNWR 1962 floors and/or pits
OXFORD GWR GWR 1879 floors and/or pits
OXLEY GWR 1967 office building
PANTYFFYNNON GWR 1964 floors and pits, remnants of coaling facilities, turntable pit & water tower
PATELEY BRIDGE NER 1951 traces of turntable pit
PEEBLES CR 1940 traces of turntable pit
PEMBROKE DOCK P&TR 1963 miscellaneous fragments
PENMAENPOOL A&WCR 1965 cabin/hut
PENRITH LNWR 1962 cabin/hut
PERTH  NBR 1950 parts of walls
PERTH NORTH HR 1938 miscellaneous fragments
PERTH SOUTH LMSR 1967 office block in commercial use
PETERBOROUGH WATER END LNWR 1965 turntable pit
PLYMOUTH DOCK GWR 1955 floor
PLYMOUTH LAIRA GWR 1964 floors and/or pits
POLMADIE LMSR 1967 [T] repair shop as part of carriage depot
PORTESSIE HR 1907 traces of water tower
PORTMADOC CAMB 1963 floors and/or pits
PYEWIPE GCR 1924 water tower
REDHILL SER 1965 floors and/or pits
RICCARTON JUNCTION LNER 1958 remnants of coaling facilities
ROBIN HOOD E&WYUR 1926 remnants of coaling facilities
ROSEDALE NER 1928 naturally preserved pit
ROTHBURY NBR 1952 miscellaneous fragments
ROWSLEY MR 1966 new shed on old foundations
ROYSTON LMS 1967 floors and/or pits
RUABON GWR 1854 traces of turntable pit
RUGBY LNWR 1892 turntable pit and wall
SALISBURY LSWR 1967 miscellaneous fragments
SCARBOROUGH NER 1963 pit complete with turntable
SEVERN TUNNEL JUNCTION GWR 1965 floors and/or pits
SHEFFIELD NEEPSEND MS&LR 1943 miscellaneous fragments
SOWERBY BRIDGE L&YR 1964 floors and/or pits & rebuilt coal stage
SPRINGS BRANCH LNWR 1967 miscellaneous fragments
SPURN HEAD SPURN 1951 floors and/or pits
ST HELENS BEMBRIDGE IoWR 1921 one side wall survives
STAMFORD LNWR 1926 miscellaneous fragments
STAMFORD S&ER 1959 floors and/or pits
STEWARTS LANE LCDR 1963 parts of rear and side walls
STIRLING CR 1966 stores building
STRATFORD-UPON-AVON OW&WR 1910 miscellaneous fragments
SUNDERLAND HENDON NER ???? miscellaneous fragments
SUNDERLAND SOUTH DOCK NER 1967 office building
TAIN HR 1962 traces of turntable pit
TALYLLYN JUNCTION B&MR 1922 rear wall
TAUNTON GWR 1964 derelict repair shop
THIRSK NER 1930 floors and/or pits
THORNTON JUNCTION LNER 1967 office building
TIPTON LNWR 1956 miscellaneous fragments
TREHERBERT GWR 1965 miscellaneous fragments
TROON HARBOUR LMSR 196? watering facilities
TYSELEY GWR 1966 working turntable & coal stage as part of Birmingham Railway Museum
UPPER BANK MR 1963 traces of turntable pit
UTTOXETER NSR 1964 floors and/or pits
WAINFLEET W&FR 1940 miscellaneous fragments
WAKEFIELD L&YR 1967 floors and/or pits
WANTAGE TOWN WTRAM 1946 floors and/or pits
WAPPING L&M 1845 tunnel
WAPPING BANKHEAD L&M 1836 cavern dug out of cutting
WARRINGTON ARPLEY W&AJR 1963 floors and/or pits
WATLINGTON W&PRR 1957 floors and/or pits
WEMYSS BAY G&WBR 1927 traces of turntable pit
WEST HARTLEPOOL NER 1967 floors and/or pits
WHITCHURCH LNWR 1957 traces of turntable pit
WHITEINCH NBR 1939 parts of walls
WIDNES LNWR 1964 scrapyard within parts of walls
WINCHESTER CHESIL GWR 1953 miscellaneous fragments
WIRKSWORTH MR 1900 pit - Ecclesbourne Valley Rly
WOLVERHAMPTON STAFFORD ROAD  GWR 1963 turntable pit visible
WORCESTER GWR 1965 floors and/or pits
WORKINGTON CENTRAL C&WJR 1923 miscellaneous fragments
WORKINGTON LNWR 1968 floor plus some track and buffer stops
WYMONDHAM GER 1958 naturally preserved pit
YARMOUTH BEACH M&GNR 1959 parts of walls
YEOVIL JUNCTION E&YR 1966 working turntable
YEOVIL PEN MILL GWR 1959 floors and/or pits
YORK SOUTH NER 1961 floors and/or pits
Top of Page