THE RAILWAY MAGAZINE REGISTER OF STATIONARY BOILERS
In association with the Engine Shed Society and AbRail Rail Databases
|site search by freefind||advanced|
Amendments, Additions & Corrections
will be shown in BLUE
Items underlined are linked to the photographs page
Broad Gauge Tiny. 2-4-0. Withdrawn 1872
and sold to Telegraph Construction Co.
for use as SB on SS Great Britain.
Broad Gauge Viper. 2-2-2. Withdrawn 1868 and used at Shrewsbury MPD.
Broad Gauge Dog Star. 2-2-2. Withdrawn 1869 and used at Paddington.
Broad Gauge Western
Star. 2-2-2. Withdrawn 1866 and used
at Oxford MPD.
35 Rhymney Railway (RR) Class R 0-6-2T. Withdrawn from service at Cardiff East Dock MPD in Nov 1956 and moved to Worcester in early1957. Sent for scrapping at SW in Jan 1958.
36 RR Class R 0-6-2T. This loco is believed to have been used at Newton Abbot sometime prior to withdrawal from Cardiff East Dock in Oct 1957. Cut up at SW later that month.
92 0-4-0ST. Withdrawn July 1942 and used at Wellington MPD for supplying hot water for loco boiler washouts until circa 1946.
205 [ex-No. 313] 0-6-2T. Withdrawn July 1954 and noted on SB duties at Worcester Works in 1956.
285 0-6-2T Used at Aberbeeg MPD from 1953 until early-1958.
309 [ex-No. 438] 0-6-2T. Reported used at Briton Ferry Feb 1953 to March 1955 (but also noted at Swindon Feb to June 1953).
Used at Bridgwater July 1956 to Feb 1959.
627 0-6-0T. noted at Swindon on Aug 23rd 1964.
0-6-0ST. Provided steam at Llynclys Jct for a pumping engine used to
transfer water from a lake. Removed in Sep 1940.
844 0-6-0ST. Provided steam at Oswestry Works. (noted July 1954).
921 0-4-0T. Noted at Ebbw Junction shed on April 5th 1964.
1126 MSWJR 4-4-0. Used at Gloucester Docks during part of 1937. Withdrawn Dec
1135 0-6-0T. Noted at Gloucester Horton Road shed on April 5th 1964.
1143 0-4-oST. Noted at Ebbw Junction shed on April 5th 1964.
1152 0-4-0ST. noted at Oxford MPD on Aug 22nd 1964. NB. This loco was previously listed in our series as being at Oxley MPD on Oct 16th 1964 and it could be that one of the sightings was an error due to similarity in location names.
Observed on Oxford MPD in November 1965 exact date not recorded but I think either 20th. or 27th. (Howard Bolton).
1316 SDR 2-4-0ST. Used as a winding engine at Crofton and a pumping engine at Stert, Wilts, before its official withdrawal in May 1899. Further utilized at Portreath until June 1904 when it was moved to Swindon and then transferred to OOC MPD in Nov 1905. It returned to Swindon [as a spare] in Aug 1906, then spent two years at Dorchester PoW Camp, returning to spare status at Swindon in 1919. Scrapped Aug 1935.
1360 B&ER 0-6-0ST. Probably the most widely-travelled of all SB's. Withdrawn in April 1890 and used at SW until moved to Brickfields, Worcester. It was subsequently deployed as an SB at the following locations: Kemble (1902-1903), SW (1903-1909), OOC Carriage Shed (1909-1913), SW [as a spare](1913-1917), Blandford Camp sawmill (on hire to the Government, 1917-19), SW (1919-1922), Newton Abbot (1922-1923), Gloucester (1923-1924), Newport (1924-1925), SW [as a spare] (1925-1927). It was finally utilised outside No. 24 Shop at Swindon Carriage Works until cut up in Aug 1944.
1422 0-4-2T. Converted to SB at Caerphilly Works and sent to Tondu MPD Dec 1957. Used there Jan 1958 to Feb/March 1964.
1751 0-6-0PT. Withdrawn Nov 1945 and loaned to Banbury Gas Works for steam-heating until May 1946.
Supplied steam to a factory near Briton Ferry, c1954.
2043 0-6-0PT. Used at Birkenhead MPD in March 1954.
2066 0-6-0PT. Used at Southall between 1952 and 1954.
0-6-0PT. Sent to Leamington MPD Nov 1953 to replace
1287 [qv]. It was
itself replaced by 7734 [qv] in late-1959.
retained full pre-1935 livery until 1959.
2144 0-6-0PT. Used at Lydney MPD and returned to service in 1946. Replaced by 2160.
2160 0-6-0PT. Used at Lydney MPD and returned to service in 1949.
2180 Tiny Ex-SDR No. 151. Vertical-boilered broad gauge 0-4-0WT. Withdrawn in June 1883 and utilised as an SB at Newton Abbot Works until 1927, when it was overhauled and placed on display at Newton Abbot station. Now preserved.
2221 0-6-0. In BR records as SB Nov ’63. Location unknown. Boiler seen on mineral wagon at Ely (South Wales) in 1964 or 1965.
2243 4-4-2T. Withdrawn Dec 1934 and used for carriage-heating at OOC. The precise period is not known but it was OOU for some time before being sent for scrap in Aug 1939.
2427 0-6-0. Observed in Wolverhampton Works in May 1939 undergoing repair following use as an SB at an unknown location. Restored to traction use, it as sent to France for war work in Nov 1939, renumbered WD117.
2605 2-6-0. After withdrawal in Oct 1934, its boiler was used at SW carriage & wagon shop until late-1963.
3302 4-4-0. Observed supplying steam at OOC CS autumn 1930. Withdrawn July 1932.
3347 4-4-0. Withdrawn Aug 1936. Observed in use at OOC 1937.
3574 0-4-2T. Used at Worcester Works during the early part of 1944 but returned to normal service by first week in June.
3577 0-4-2T. Employed in the Neath Division (precise locations unknown) sometime after 1939. Withdrawn May 1949.
3654 0-6-0PT. Used at Swansea High Street 1965 to late-1966.
3783 0-6-0PT. In BR records as SB Feb ’62. Location unknown.
4119 2-6-2T. Withdrawn at Pontypool Road MPD in Sep 1963 and used as an SB there until June 1965.
4176 2-6-2T. Withdrawn at Oxley MPD Oct 1965 and believed to have been used there and/or Tyseley MPD until March 1967. Viewed at Tyseley 26 April 1966. Scrapped by Cashmore's in April 1967 - boiler backplate fittings to SVR.
4969 Shrugborough Hall. 4-6-0. In BR records dated Feb 1962 as an SB. Location not recorded.
5638 0-6-2T. In BR records as an SB Oct 63. Location unknown.
5723 0-6-0PT Withdrawn at Chester MPD Nov 1957 and moved in 1958 to West London Sidings Gas Producing Plant, where it was used until Feb 1959. Later used at OOC CS (OOU there June ’59).
In BR records as SB May/Jun 63. Seen at Swindon on 28th April 1963. Scrapped
5938 Stanley Hall 4-6-0. Used at Stafford Road Works in 1963.
6325 2-6-0. SB at Newport Ebbw Jct MPD circa 1960 to 1963.
6408 0-6-0PT. Bristol St Philip’s Marsh MPD July ’62-April ’64.
6737 0-6-0PT. Withdrawn July 1957 and replaced No. 285 [qv] at Aberbeeg MPD in early-1958.
6750 0-6-0PT. Although not officially withdrawn at Aberdare MPD until Jan 1960, it had been used for steam heating at the shed since Aug 1959 and continued to be so until Aug 1960.
6771 0-6-0PT. Sent to Plymouth Millbay during 1959 and moved to Plymouth Laira MPD in 1960, being used there for a few years. Subsequently noted in store at Westbury MPD on July 27, 1963 and at SW for scrapping by May 9, 1964.
6924 Grantley Hall.
4-6-0. In BR files as SB. Details unrecorded.
6912 Helmster Hall. Noted at Cardiff Canton Carriage shed on temporary steam heat duty April 1964.
6967 Willesley Hall. 4-6-0. In BR files as SB. Details unrecorded.
7415 0-6-0PT. Withdrawn at Swindon MPD Feb 1959 and moved to West London Sidings Gas Producing Plant to replace 5723 [qv]. In 1960, it was transferred to Aberdare MPD, where it replaced No. 6750 [qv] and lasted until it was itself replaced by No. 7408 [qv] in Aug 1962.
8408 0-6-0PT. Used at SW until July 1960, then used at Truro MPD in Aug 1961. Scrapped at SW in June 1963.
8417 0-6-0PT. Reported used at Aberbeeg, Tondu and Swindon MPD's between 1959 and 1965, but no official record of such use
8452 0-6-0PT. Observed in use at Banbury MPD in Feb 1960, although not withdrawn from normal service until April 1964.
0-6-0PT. Transferred to SB use at SW (poss. c&w)1965.
Scrapped at Swindon Works August 1968.
observed at Swindon Works 16 August 1967 .It was not there on my next visit on 17 August 1968. (Howard Bolton)
8497 0-6-0PT. Transferred to SB use at SW (poss. c&w)1965. Scrapped at Swindon Works "C" Shop May/June1968.
9425 0-6-0PT. Noted in SB use at SW Aug 1965.
9443 0-6-0PT. In SB use at Cardiff Canton MPD May 1959 (i.e. before withdrawal in June that year).
9457 0-6-0PT. Noted in SB use at SW Aug 1965.
9601 0-6-0PT. Used at Bristol Barrow Road CS 1964-early 1965.
9609 0-6-0PT. Used at Landore MPD,1960s.
9708 0-6-0PT. Briefly used at Leamington MPD circa Feb 1959.
addition, BR records show the following Western Region locos to have been
seconded to stationary boiler duties on at least one occasion between 1955
and 1966, probably at each locos’ parent depot, although exact locations are
Unidentified GW boilers:
* A Hedley 2-4-0ST was withdrawn in May 1892 and sent to Cynwyl for employment as a stone-crusher. Following an overhaul in 1902, it was installed at Neath District Civil Engineers Depot as an SB and remained there until sent to Swindon for cutting-up in 1929.
* An ex-RR Class R 0-6-2T boiler was in use at Caerphilly Works heating the carriage shops from 1957 to Jan 1964. This was similar to the deployment of No. 37 [qv] but identity unknown.
* A Pannier-style boiler was noted powering pumping engines at Brentford Docks in the 1950s.
* It is
known that a number of boilers from GWR broad gauge engines were also used
as SB's, e.g. Nelson at the Star Patent Fuel Works, near Cardiff.
Further details welcomed.
* An unidentified SB was noted on Barry Shed at Whitsun 1962. Further details welcomed.
4 SER 2-4-0. Damaged in a collision at London Bridge May 1857 and became SB at Bricklayers Arms MPD. Scrapped April 1860.
6 SER 2-4-0. Used as a stationary boiler at Redhill circa 1865.
12 Class 205 0-4-2T. Converted into a ‘portable hot water tank’ to service carriage foot-warmers at Dover. Cut up May 1894.
17 T1 0-4-4T. Used during March 1934 to supply steam to the South Western Hotel at Southampton Terminus.
?? T1 0-4-4T. Boiler used at Maldon Sawmill, Essex, 1940s-1975.
49 SER 2-4-0. Used at Ashford Sawmill. Cut up May 1894.
92 SER ‘Crampton’. Used at Folkestone Harbour 1855 to c1862.
98 (A98) (1098) Class O 0-6-0. After withdrawal in Oct 1929, it was used at Ramsgate Carriage Sheds to supply steam. It was noted in 1931 carrying SE&CR numberplate 1098. Replaced by locomotive No. 31501 in 1953 [qv].
98A SER 0-6-0. Supplied steam to a brick-driers,1901-1908.
101 S14 0-4-0T. After withdrawal in May 1919, it was sold for normal use on industrial systems, but ended its days supplying steam at the Royal Ordnance Factory near Chorley, where it was noted in late-1958.
126 SER 4wVBT. Withdrawn 1866 and used at Redhill until 1888.
146 SER 2-2-2. Used from 1877 in Ashford Works smiths’ shop.
153 SER 0-6-0. Ashford Sawmill SB 1881. Damaged in fire 1882.
154 SER 0-6-0T. Ashford Smiths’ Shop after withdrawal Aug 1894.
175 Class A 4-4-0. Used at Bricklayers Arms MPD in 1909.
177 SER 2-2-2. Pumping engine at first Channel Tunnel works, which were later abandoned. Loco cut up Nov 1898.
209A SER 0-4-2WT. Same use as No. 12 [qv] but at Cannon Street.
286 Class O 0-6-0. SB at Orpington MPD until March 1910.
353 SER 0-6-0ST. After withdrawal as an Ashford C&W works shunter, it was cut up in March 1932 and its boiler sold to a Canterbury nurseryman for heating greenhouses. It was still being so utilised in 1939 but by Aug 1947 had been superseded.
A358 Class Q 0-4-4T. After withdrawal in 1926, this loco was modified by Ashford Works for use as an SB and sent to Kingston Wharf, Shoreham. It was cut up in 1929.
367 Q1 0-4-4T. Used at Ashford Works during 1931.
369 E10 4-2-2-0. Withdrawn in Sep 1926, this ‘Double Single’ was cut up and its boiler used at Eastleigh Works Jan 1930.
370 E10 4-2-2-0. Withdrawn in Sep 1926, this ‘Double Single’ was cut up and its boiler used at Lancing Carriage Works from Aug 1930.
371 E10 4-2-2-0. Withdrawn in Sep 1926, this ‘Double Single’ was cut up and its boiler used at Longhedge Carriage-Cleaning Sheds from March 1929.
372 E10 4-2-2-0. Withdrawn in April 1927 and boiler sent to Battersea Repair Shops from March 1931
409 0-4-0 Crane Tank. After scrapping of this Ashford C&W works pilot in March 1935, its boiler is said to have been retained for stationary use in Ashford Wagon Works.
422 M2 4-4-0. Withdrawn Dec 1912. Boiler then converted for stationary work at Ashford Works Sawmill Jan 1914-Aug 1938.
A423 Q 0-4-4T. Withdrawn Dec 1912 then transferred to Southwick, Sussex, where it was used on pumping duties. Scrapped 3/1930.
467 M3 4-4-0. Withdrawn Aug 1927 and cut up, its boiler being retained for use at Ashford Works Sawmill until Aug 1938.
475 M3 4-4-0. Withdrawn Jan 1927 and cut up. Boiler used in the wheel shop at Ashford MPD Feb 1928 to Sep 1946.
459 T14 4-6-0. Carriage-heating at Clapham Jct, Spring 1940.
461 T14 4-6-0. Carriage-heating at Clapham Jct, Spring 1940.
528 A 0-4-4T. Withdrawn March 1925 and used to supply steam for driving machinery at Ashford Works. Cut up 1928.
555 A12 0-4-2. Withdrawn Feb 1944 and sent for cutting-up at Eastleigh Works, but taken from the scrap line Oct 1945 and moved to Eastleigh MPD to supply steam.
586 X2 4-6-0. Withdrawn March 1939 but re-instated in April to supply steam for boiler washouts at Eastleigh MPD. Replaced by No. 3509 [qv] in May 1940 and returned to normal service.
622 A12 0-4-2. Withdrawn Jan 1936 and its boiler put to stationary use at Eastleigh Works.
B633 D1 0-2-4T. Used as an SB for a few years prior to 1944 – location(s) unknown. Cut up at Eastleigh Oct 1946.
(612) – see DS3191 [qv].
644 A12 0-4-2. During 1945, the loco had a pipe coupled to its left side ejector, which was utilised to supply hot water at Eastleigh Works. Replaced by 612 (DS3191).
646 A12 0-4-2. Withdrawn May 1939, converted into an SB at Eastleigh Works and sent to Salisbury MPD in March 1941 to replace No. 657 [qv] in the supplying of steam to the then-new ‘Merchant Navy’ Pacifics. Within a short while, that proved unnecessary but it remained there as the depot SB until despatched to Eastleigh Works in May 1944.
657 X6 4-4-0. Withdrawn Sep 1940, converted into an SB at Eastleigh Works and sent to Salisbury MPD on Feb 26, 1941 to supply steam to ‘Merchant Navies’. The following month, it was replaced by No. 646 [qv] and sent to Exmouth Junction MPD to perform similar duties. Observed there, in use, in October 1942 but within a few months had become redundant and remained there OOU until March 1944 when it was towed to Eastleigh Works. Cut up at Horley Nov 1949.
720 T7 4-2-2-0. After withdrawal in April 1927, its boiler was salvaged and converted for carriage-heating at Clapham Jct. It remained in use there until 1941, a replacement boiler being supplied by Eastleigh Works before the end of that year.
751 A1 0-6-0T. In Jan 1930, the loco had its working pressure reduced to 75psi for use as an SB and was moved to Eastbourne MPD, to supply steam to a pulverised coal hopper during fuel trials, which lasted until Sep 1932. Reinstated, it ended its days as Lancing Carriage Works shunter No. DS680 in June 1962.
756 A.S. Harris 0-6-0. Used to supply steam at Dover for a few months during 1948 as temporary substitute for No. 2359 [qv].
2032 Class I4 4-4-2T. After loco cut up Sep 1940, its boiler was sold to Sussex & Dorking Brick Co, which used it until 1949.
I4 4-4-2T. After being cut up in May 1940, its boiler was repaired and sent
to Fleet, to supply steam to an air-compressor providing a means of
operating signalling on the Western Section main line. It was reported still
in use Nov 1948.
2235 D1 0-4-2T. Used at Brighton Works to supply steam to ‘West Country’ class boilers in the immediate post-WW2 era.
2239 D1 0-4-2T. Supplied steam to a canteen in Orpington during WW2.
2244 D1 0-4-2T. Used at Fratton MPD, where it was referred to as ‘Oil Pump No.1’. Dates unknown.
2255 D1 0-4-2T. Used at Brighton Works to supply steam to ‘West Country’ class boilers in the immediate post-WW2 era.
2284 D1 0-4-2T. Used at Fratton MPD, where it was referred to as ‘Oil Pump No.2’. Dates unknown.
2359 D1 0-4-2T. Supplied steam heating for a staff restaurant car in Redhill yard Nov 1945-March 1946. It was subsequently transferred to Dover, where it was used until circa July 1951.
2602 Class I1X 4-4-2T. Used in the old ‘Rooter’ roundhouse at New Cross MPD approx late-1940s. Scrapped in June 1951.
[formerly 612]. A12 0-4-2. Withdrawn June 1946 but, while awaiting scrapping
at Eastleigh Works, was resurrected and used to supply steam in Eastleigh
Works Boiler Shop Yard from April 1947 until cut up in Nov 1951.
30068 Class USA 0-6-0T. Supplied steam to SS Canterbury in dry dock at Southampton in February 1963
3509 Class 0395 0-6-0. Replaced 586 [qv] as SB at Eastleigh MPD May 1940. Later reinstated to traffic, w’dn Mar 1953 as BR 30581.
30193 02 0-4-4T. Used at Eastleigh Works April to Sep 1962.
30229 02 0-4-4T. Used at Eastleigh Works during 1957.
30434 L12 4-4-0. Cut up Aug 1955, its boiler was repaired and used at Eastleigh Works Erecting Shop April 1956 to June 1959.
(30581) – see 3509 [qv].
31261 H 0-4-4T. Reported used at Stewarts Lane MPD in 1960.
31271 C 0-6-0. Departmental No. DS 240. Used at Ashford Works July 1963 to Nov 1967.
32235 D1 0-2-4T. Used at Brighton Works during 1950/1.
32425 Trevose Head H2 4-4-2. After withdrawal in Sep 1956, pressure was reduced to 100psi and it was sent to Slade Green EMUD from Jan to April 1957 as a temporary SB while the depot’s plant was being converted from coal to oil-firing.
C2X 0-6-0. Used at Ramsgate until at least April 1957.
32501 E4 0-6-2T. Used at Salisbury MPD August 1953.
E5 0-6-2T. Transferred from store to Dover Aug 1951 to replace
Sent to Ashford Works scrap line in Jan 1956.
34002 Salisbury WC 4-6-2. Utilised at Eastleigh Works (circa 1962)
34016 Bodmin WC 4-6-2. Utilised at Eastleigh Works (noted 21st June 1964)
34035 Shaftesbury WC 4-6-2. Utilised at Eastleigh Works (circa 1960)
34042 Dorchester WC 4-6-2. Utilised at Eastleigh Works as a temporary 4-6-0 with 4-wheel tender prior to rebuilding (circa 1958/9)
34055 Fighter Pilot. BB 4-6-2. Utilised at Eastleigh Works for a period between its May 1963 withdrawal and its May 1964 scrapping (although reputed to have been fitted with the smokebox numberplate off No. 34043 Combe Martin!)
SR boilers for which loco number is unidentified:
* Boiler No. 453. A Class J5 0-6-0 boiler which was purchased in 1914 and utilised at Ashford Works, initially in the ‘Bosh House’ [where grease and oil was washed off dismantled parts prior to inspection] and after May 1919 in the carriage works. It was subsequently known as Boiler T4 and remained until July 1945.
* Boiler No. 514. As above. Used in Ashford Carriage Works. Later known as Boiler T19 and remained until April 1949.
* A72 and A422 were Class Q 0-4-4Ts withdrawn in March 1926 and sold for scrap to Harris & Co Oct 1929. The boiler off one, but which is not known, was later sold to Eastbourne Corporation for greenhouse heating, where it lasted until early-1946.
Lion L&MR 0-4-2 (no number). Withdrawn from normal service in 1859 and bought by Mersey Docks & Harbour Board for use as a stationary pumping engine. After performing for well over 50 years, it was restored to running order and is today preserved.
81A Colville HR 4-4-0. Withdrawn 1923 and cut up at Kilmarnock Works in 1925, its boiler being retained for SB use at Inverness.
61 LYR 0-4-4T. Withdrawn May 1909 for SB use. Noted at Longsight (ex-LNWR) from 1925, but had gone by 1950.
239 LYR 0-6-2T. Withdrawn Nov 1911 and used for heating banana vans at Garston Docks, Liverpool. Known as ‘Portable Boiler No. 4608’, it was replaced in 1960 by loco No. 51397 [qv].
247 LYR 0-6-2T. Withdrawn Aug 1905 and used at Red Bank CS, Cheetham Hill, Manchester. Scrapped Oct 1962.
0-4-4T. One of several very long-serving ex-LYR SB's. Withdrawn Nov 1909 and
used at Blackpool Central until Nov ’64.
631 A boiler with this number (believed to be from LNWR 0-8-0 No.9194, withdrawn October 1949 without BR number) was noted at Edge Hill MPD in August 1965.
636 LYR 0-4-4T. (BR boiler 903). W’drawn 6/1908,used at Queens Rd, Manchester until 10/1965. Scrapped at Newton Heath 7/1967. Seen at Accrington MPD 7rh August 1960 and 25th June 1961.
713 LYR 0-4-4T. (BR boiler 994). W’drawn June 1910, used at Blackpool North, then Accrington CS from 1950 and Cheetham Hill May 1961. Scrapped at Newton Heath Aug 1967.
910 Used at Blackpool Central until 1964. (Poss also numbered 1).
920 LYR 0-4-4T. (Also No. 20?). W’drawn 2/1912. Used at various Lancashire locations. Still at Queens Rd, Manchester in Oct 1965.
925 LYR 0-4-4T No. 519. Withdrawn 1911 and believed used at Blackpool North (Talbot Road) then Cheetham Hill CS, where it was noted April 1961 and Oct 1965. Scrapped at Newton Heath MPD Aug 1967.
926 LYR 0-4-4T No. 480. Used at Blackpool Central until Nov ’64.
NB. Removal of numbers from some LYR SB's and the use of numbers for others that were similar to loco numbers has caused confusion for LYR historians ever since and is unlikely to be ever resolved. See also end of LMS section.
6738 LNWR Class 1P 2-4-2T. SB at Longsight MPD July 1946.
14382 Loch Moy HR 2P 4-4-0. Supplied steam to Cairnryan Military Railway, near Stranraer, throughout most of 1941.
14402 Ben Armin HR 2P 4-4-0. Withdrawn Dec 1939 and used for carriage-heating at Ayr for at least two years.
14411 Ben Loyal HR 2P 4-4-0. Greenock Princes Pier in 1937.
14422 Ben Achaoruinn HR 2P 4-4-0. Withdrawn March 1937 and used at Inverness station to provide steam to the laundry of the adjacent Station Hotel while its heating system was overhauled.
15404 GSWR 4-6-4T. Used at Largs in 1937.
17501 GSWR 0-6-0. Used at Ardrossan circa 1936/1937.
3P 2-6-2T. BR records dated 5/59, Wrexham ex-GC shed.
40117 3P 2-6-2T. Noted at York MPD in 1963 steam cleaning diesel locomotive bogies!
2P 4-4-0. BR records dated Jan 1961: Barassie Works.
41922 (2104) 3P 4-4-2T. Used at Wellingborough Depot in 1947/8 during oil firing scheme
41966 (2148) 3P 4-4-2T. Used at Wellingborough Depot in 1946/7 during oil firing scheme
42526 4P 2-6-4T. Noted in use at Shoeburyness early-1963.
42530 4P 2-6-4T. Withdrawn from Shoeburyness MPD June 1962 and used as an SB at March MPD in 1963.
4P 2-6-4T. Seen in use at March MPD Jan/Feb 1963.
42690 4P 2-6-4T Seen in use at Eastfield MPD 9th Jan 1967. (Believed to have worked previously at Rutherglen CS or Buchanan Street Station.)
44147 4F 0-6-0. Noted in use at Crewe Works Sep 1961.
44246 4F 0-6-0. Used at Red Bank CS, Cheetham Hill, 1/65-1966.
44364 4F 0-6-0. SB at Gorton prior to withdrawal.
5MT 4-6-0. Used at Eastfield MPD in until sold for scrap in March
1968. Replaced 76098.
44915 5MT 4-6-0 at Heysham Harbour 1968 next to unidentified stationary boiler.
44997 5MT 4-6-0. Used at Craigentinny CS May to July 1967. Reputedly the last BR-owned loco to be steamed in Scotland.
45092 5MT 4-6-0. Withdrawn Dec 1967 and used at Heysham Harbour for about 3 months to warm carriages
45483 5MT 4-6-0. Craigentinny CS Nov 1961 and Nov 1966.
47398 3F 0-6-0T. SB at Wolverton Works April-Nov 1965.
Believed to be the last standard gauge steam loco in BR service.
Withdrawn from Lostock Hall MPD in March 1965 and converted at Darlington
Works in Sep 1965 for SB use. Moved to Holyhead, where it was used
from Dec 1965, then to Red Bank CS, Cheetham Hill, in March 1966,
where it replaced No.
[qv]. It remained there until as late as May 1972 (as ‘Portable Boiler No.
2022’) and was later preserved.
46158 6P 4-6-0. The Loyal Regiment. Boiler purchased by in May 1952 by British Coal Utilisation Research Council. Leatherhead for combustion experiments
50897 LYR 2P 2-4-2T. Used at Uttoxeter after withdrawal.
51217 LYR 0F 0-4-0ST. Used at Bromsgrove MPD July to Sep 1955 to heat and pump fuel oil for Beyer-Garratt No. 69999.
52465 LYR 3F 0-6-0. Observed as SB at Rugby MPD April 1954.
54452 CR 3P 4-4-0. M&EE Dept, Edinburgh Princes St, Mar ’51.
54478 CR 3P 4-4-0. Used as an SB by the M&EE Dept at Edinburgh Princes Street station during 1951.
55119 CR 2P 0-4-4T. Used at Sighthill Goods Yard 8/53 to 3/54.
55121 CR 2P 0-4-4T Used by M&EE Dept at Greenhill in 1950. 55126 CR 2P 0-4-4T. Used by Stirling C&W Dept May & Oct ’52.
55134 CR 2P 0-4-4T. Used by C&W Dept at Law Jct in 1950/51.
55141 CR 2P 0-4-4T. Supplied steam for carriage-heating at Glasgow Buchanan Street CS during 1957/58.
55142 CR 2P 0-4-4T. Used by M&EE Dept at Greenhill in 1952.
55143 CR 2P 0-4-4T. SB at Hurlford MPD in 1952 and 1953.
55188 CR 2P 0-4-4T. Used by C&W Dept at Law Jct in 1950.
55212 CR 2P 0-4-4T. Deployed at Stirling Cowpark in 1952.
55214 CR 2P 0-4-4T. BR records dated Aug 1958: Bo’ness.
55222 CR 2P 0-4-4T. As No. 55212 [qv].
55223 CR 2P 0-4-4T. Used at Rutherglen during March 1956 while a permanent boiler was being repaired.
55231 CR 2P 0-4-4T. BR records dated June 1958: Ayr MPD.
55240 CR 2P 0-4-4T. BR records dated 11/60: Hurlford MPD.
55264 CR 2P 0-4-4T. Used at Ardrossan South Beach, Jan 1961.
55265 CR 2P 0-4-4T. Deployed at Bellahouston during 1960.
CR 2P 0-4-4T. BR records dated Nov 1957: Ayr MPD.
55269 CR 2P 0-4-4T. Used at Lochgorm Works (probably around 1962 but confirmation required). (Confirmed 18/10/2011 with copyrighted photograph)
57258 CR 2F 0-6-0. Used at Bellahouston CS from 1962 until 1963, then Barassie Wagon Works, Oct 1963-Nov 1964.
57265 CR 2F 0-6-0. Noted in use at Bellahouston CS in 1962.
57278 CR 2F 0-6-0. Used at St Rollox Works June ’63-Feb ’64.
57634 CR 3F 0-6-0. BR records dated 10/58: Keith MPD .
57695 HR 3F 0-6-0. After withdrawal in Jan 1952, its boiler was used to provide steam at St Rollox Works until Nov 1953.
LYR boilers for which loco number is unidentified:
Some LYR 0-4-4Ts retained their running numbers [qv], some were given boiler numbers and others had all identification removed: Details are required for those seen at Irlam o’ th’ Heights CS, Kirkdale CS, Low Moor and Southport. Two LYR 0-4-4Ts that have frequently been confused were originally 625 and 912. One was at Cheetham Hill in 1955 but gone by 1961. The other was at Accrington 1945, Blackpool North 1950 and Liverpool Edge Hill (Downhill CS?) from 1964 to 1969, but which boiler was which is not clear. The boiler at the latter location was mounted on a tender frame and attached to a wagon. No. 625 might also have been used at Colne MPD at some point).
An LYR boiler mounted on an old tender frame was used at Bradford (Laisterdyke CS or St Dunstan’s CS). It had YE1068 on the tender frame and was noted there in the early-BR era.
Other unidentified LMS boilers:
* A boiler, possibly from a CR 3F 0-6-0, was in use at Ayr MPD during 1957 to provide steam for boiler washouts and the shed hoist, and was still there circa 1960.
* An ex-LNWR 0-6-0 boiler was used at Middleton Top (Cromford & High Peak), to supply steam to the winding engines after the original boilers wore out. It was cut up 3/67.
* An SB locomotive was observed at buffer stops at the rear of Crewe North CS sometime between 1968 and 1973.
29 GNoSR steam railmotor built Andrew Barclay in 1905 but converted shortly afterwards to conventional loco. Withdrawn 1909/10 and used as SB at various locations on GNoSR system.
31 GNoSR steam railmotor built Andrew Barclay in 1905 but converted shortly afterwards to conventional loco. Withdrawn 1909/10 and used as SB at various locations on GNoSR system.
B13 4-6-0. Withdrawn Dec 1936 and utilised at Darlington Works during
1216 J81 0-6-0. Ex NBR. Withdrawn 1924 and used as SB at LNER Craigentinny Gas Works
2400 A2 Raven 4-6-2 withdrawn 1937 and used at Darlington Works until ????
2409 J28 0-6-0. Withdrawn Oct 1937 and deployed to provide steam at Darlington Works until cut up in Dec 1939.
2812 C1 4-4-2. Used at Doncaster Wagon Works 9/47-6/52.
2821 C1 4-4-2. Used at Doncaster Carriage Works 7/48-8/50.
2829 C1 4-4-2. Used at Doncaster Carriage Works 7/48-7/53.
2849 C1 4-4-2. Used at Doncaster Carriage Works 7/48-7/53
2877 C1 4-4-2. Used at Doncaster Wagon Works Feb to July 1950, then at Doncaster North Carriage Shed until April 1952.
J54 0-6-0ST. Withdrawn Jan 1932 and deployed at Boston Engineering
Department that year.
3254 C1 4-4-2. Withdrawn in April 1943 and remained at Doncaster Carriage Works as SB until 1964
NB: This boiler is the one scrapped at Brightlingsea circa1988-89. Another (No. 9359 from loco No. 3287) [qv] was moved with it from Doncaster to Maldon in the late-1940s and is now being restored to working order at the Bluebell Railway. It was new in Aug 1943.
4-4-2. Withdrawn Jan 1947, its boiler (SB No. 810) was used outside
Doncaster Carriage Works until c1965.
4419 C1 4-4-2 This booster fitted Atlantic was photographed in SB duty at Doncaster Works and a picture is was published in Meccano Magazine in the late 1950s/early 1960s.
4444 C1 4-4-2. Withdrawn Oct 1945, its boiler (SB No. 790) was used outside Doncaster Carriage Works until c1965.(This boiler, No. 9459, was brand new in Oct 1944 and therefore one of the newest ever to be redeployed for stationary use.)
0-6-0. W’drawn 6/33 and boiler used at Inverurie Works.
9509 C11 4-4-2 Ex. NBR. Withdrawn 1937 and used as SB at Cowlairs Works until 1945.
9876 C11 4-4-2 Ex. NBR. Withdrawn 05/1937 and used as SB at Cowlairs Works until at least October 1951 (originally named "Waverley")
9904 C11 4-4-2 Ex. NBR. Withdrawn 09/1936 and used as SB at Cowlairs Works until at least October 1951 (originally named "Holyrood")
W1 4-6-4. Boiler used as SB at Stooperdale, 1941 to 1965.
10426 4-4-0T. Ex. NBR Class D51 1426. Used as SB at (probably) St. Margaret's in the mid/late 1920's. Photograph in A A McLean's book "North British Album" Ian Allan. ISBN 071
60109 Hermit A3 4-6-2. Reported to have undertaken SB duties at Wood Green CS in February 1963
V2 2-6-2. Used at Craigentinny CS until July 1967.
61008 Kudu B1 4-6-0. Used at Eastfield MPD in May 1966.
61010 Wildebeeste B1 4-6-0. Used at Hull Paragon station for carriage-heating Sep to Nov 1965.
61032 Stembok B1 4-6-0. Used at Hull Paragon station for carriage-heating Nov 1965 to 1966.
61041 B1 4-6-0. Holloway CS carriage-heating Jan-April ’64.
61097 B1 4-6-0. Holloway CS carriage-heating Jan-April ’64, then at Hornsey sometime during winter 1964/65 up to Jan 3, 1965.
61109 B1 4-6-0. Used at Holloway CS Jan to April 1964.
61162 B1 4-6-0. Used at Holloway CS Jan to April 1964.
61180 B1 4-6-0. Used at Craigentinny CS
61200 B1 4-6-0. Deployed at Wood Green CS from circa 1961 until early winter 1962/3.
61255 B1 4-6-0. Used at Hull Paragon station for carriage-heating 1966 to March 1967.
B1 4-6-0. Used at Holloway CS Jan to April 1964.
61308 B1 4-6-0. Noted at Craigentinny CS 8th Jan 1967.
61314 B1 4-6-0. Used at Hitchin Dec 1963 for carriage-heating.
B1 4-6-0. Allocated to Cambridge in Oct 1963 and due to be transferred to
Departmental Stock as No. 24. Used as SB at Cambridge CS but the
proposed transfer and renumbering did not take place as, by the end of
November, it was in store at March MPD and officially withdrawn early-1964.
61330 B1 4-6-0. Used at Craigentinny CS until 1967.
61389 B1 4-6-0. Used at Hitchin Dec 1963. Carriage-heating.
61406 B1 4-6-0. In use at Hull Paragon station on carriage-heating on April 12, 1966. Withdrawn five days later.
(NB. For other B1s, see Departmental entries.)
61742 K2 2-6-0. Used at New England MPD Jan 1961 until taken to Doncaster May ’62 (although sighted at N England June 1963).
61756 K2 2-6-0. Used at King’s Cross Jan 1961-Aug 1962.
61759 K2 2-6-0. Used at New England MPD from June 1959 until Jan 1960 when it was replaced by No. 61763 [qv].
61761 K2 2-6-0. Moved from Colwick MPD to King’s Cross MPD in Jan 1961 intended for use as an SB, but almost immediately withdrawn and replaced by 61756 [qv].
K2 2-6-0. Replaced No. 61759 [qv] at New England MPD in Jan 1960.
Remained in use as an SB there until Feb 1961.
61777 K2 2-6-0. Seen at New England MPD between Oct. 1958 and July 1959.
61835 K3 2-6-0. Although withdrawn from normal service at New England MPD in Sep 1962, it had been used as an SB there since May that year when it replaced 61742 [qv]. It is then thought to have become SB at Grantham MPD and was noted there on Aug 11, 1963. (see http://www.flickr.com/photos/24041160@N02/3738936351/in/set-72157622423994969/ )
61943 K3 2-6-0. Withdrawn at Colwick MPD Sep 1962 and used as an SB there until Oct 1965 when replaced by Dept No. 25 [qv].
62411 Lady of Avenel D29 4-4-0. BR files dated May 1952 show it as SB at Thornton Junction MPD.
62477 Glen Dochart D34 4-4-0. BR files12/58: Eastfield MPD.
62479 Glen Sheil D34 4-4-0. Kittybrewster MPD 2/59 & 3/60.
62496 Glen Loy D34 4-4-0. Used at Eastfield MPD at various times between Nov 1958 and July 1961.
62498 Glen Moidart D34 4-4-0. BR files 3/52: Eastfield MPD .
62536 D16 4-4-0. Withdrawn July 1955 and transferred to SB stock Sep 1955 for pre-heating at Stratford Carriage Shed. In May 1957, it was sent temporarily to the old Romford Factory (Sheet Stores) as an SB and was condemned in summer 1958.
62677 Edie Ochiltree D11 4-4-0. Edinburgh Princes St, Aug 1952.
62683 Hobbie Elliott D11 4-4-0. SB at Haymarket MPD Feb 1958.
63488 O3 2-8-0. Used at Hunslet power house/Accommodation Road yard, Leeds, for a period circa Aug 1952 to June 1953.
64558 J37 0-6-0. SB at Eastfield MPD Oct 1961.
64573 J37 0-6-0. SB at Eastfield MPD Feb 1960.
64632 J37 0-6-0. SB at Eastfield MPD May 1962 to July 1963
64633 J37 0-6-0. SB at Eastfield MPD March 1962 to Sep 1963.
64638 J37 0-6-0. SB at Eastfield MPD March 1962.
J39 0-6-0. Withdrawn from normal service at Woodford Halse MPD Oct
1962 and used as SB there until Aug 1963.
64742 J39 0-6-0. Seen and photographed at Woodford Halse MPD on April 22 1962 as SB.
64747 J39 0-6-0. Withdrawn from normal service at Woodford Halse MPD Oct 1962 and used as SB there until 1964.
65229 J36 0-6-0. BR records dated Sep 1958: Bathgate MPD.
65230 J36 0-6-0. Recorded as SB at Bathgate MPD, 1959.
65251 J36 0-6-0. BR records dated Feb 1963: Bathgate MPD.
65253 J36 0-6-0. BR records dated May 1963: Dunfermline MPD.
J36 0-6-0. BR records dated June 1958: Polmont MPD.
65267 J36 0-6-0. Used at Bathgate MPD until Feb 1967.
65276 J36 0-6-0. BR records dated Aug 1960: Bathgate MPD.
65287 J36 0-6-0. Thornton Jct MPD from 1964 until at least 6/65.
65290 J36 0-6-0. BR records dated Mar 1958: Bathgate MPD.
65293 J36 0-6-0. Used at Gourock 1962 to 1965.
65297 J36 0-6-0. Used at Barrassie Wagon Works, June 1963.
65306 J36 0-6-0. BR records dated July 1959: Polmont MPD.
65307 J36 0-6-0. BR records dated July 1962: Thornton Jct MPD.
65309 J36 0-6-0. BR records dated Feb 1963: Bathgate MPD.
65341 J36 0-6-0. Used at Bathgate MPD in Oct and Dec 1958.
65344 J36 0-6-0. BR records dated Feb 1958: Bathgate MPD.
65393 J15 0-6-0. W’drawn 8/1949. Noted as SB at Ilford 1951.
J17 0-6-0. Withdrawn at March MPD 15 April 1962 and used there July 1962 to Jan
1964 as SB3401 when replaced by Dept No. 18 [qv]. Cut up at Doncaster
Works 31 Jan 1964
65574 J17 0-6-0. Used at Temple Mills CS. Dates unknown.
0-6-0. Supplied steam to Gateshead MPD between Aug 1950 and June
65934 J38 0-6-0. Working as SB at Thornton Junction MPD on April 23rd 1967.
67327 G5 0-4-4T. BR records dated Aug 1952: Keith MPD.
67462 C15 4-4-2T. Worked at Bo’ness Creosote, Sep 1953.
67466 C15 4-4-2T. Used by M&EE Dept, Burntisland, July 1954
67469 C15 4-4-2T. Used by M&EE Dept, Burntisland 7/50-7/52.
67483 C16 4-4-2T. In use at Dundee Tay Bridge MPD Dec 1955.
67495 C16 4-4-2T. BR records dated 5-6/52: St Margaret's MPD.
C16 4-4-2T. Used by M&EE Dept, Craigentinny 1951.
67680 V1 2-6-2T. Boiler seen at Doncaster Loco Works in October 1965.
68332 J88 0-6-0. Used at Inverurie Works - Boiler still in use on 18APR64 at Inverurie Works (the rest having been scrapped there c.6/63). It wasn't recorded during a visit on 22AUG67,so presumably scrapped by then(?).
68533 J67 0-6-0T. BR records dated Oct 1952: Bathgate MPD.
69052 L3 2-6-4T. SB at Gorton Wagon Works Aug 1954 to 1956.
69138 N15 0-6-2T. At St Margaret's MPD until April 1964 as spare cover for No. 69128 [qv].
69156 N15 0-6-2T. BR records dated Mar 1961: Bathgate MPD.
69159 N15 0-6-2T. BR records dated Feb 1961: Bathgate MPD.
69203 N15 0-6-2T. In use at Cowlairs Works Paintshop 1959.
69209 N15 0-6-2T. BR records dated July 1958: Parkhead MPD.
69216 N15 0-6-2T. BR records dated June 1959: Bathgate MPD.
69219 N15 0-6-2T. SB at St Margaret's MPD Jan 1962-March ’63.
69223 N15 0-6-2T. BR files dated 5/59: Thornton Junction MPD.
69461 N1 0-6-2T. SB 3294 at Shoeburyness on carriage-heating Nov 1954 to Dec 1962. Sent to Stratford from Ardsley for repair/overhaul 5/54. ( Stratford was at this time responsible for N1 overhauls) Was not repaired but withdrawn and in 11/54 became SB3294, serving as such at Shoeburyness until 12/62. Cut up at Stratford March 1963.
69508 N2 0-6-2T. BR records dated May 1952: Parkhead MPD.
69529 N2 0-6-2T. Withdrawn at New England MPD and moved in Aug or Sep 1962 to Grantham MPD, where it is rumoured to have been an SB until Feb 1963. (Can any reader confirm its use?)
69568 N2 0-6-2T. At Grantham MPD between Aug 1962 and Feb 1963, reportedly as spare cover for 69529 [qv]. Observed in steam there Aug 1962, but possibly as a result of its arrival.
N2 0-6-2T. Utilised at Mexborough MPD and observed in use Aug1962 and
retained until the end of steam on May 1 19643
69578 N2 0-6-2T. Noted at Mexborough MPD on 31st Oct 1962
69771 A7 4-6-2T. Deployed temporarily at Brough pumping house during May 1953 while a permanent boiler was under repair.
69773 A7 4-6-2T. As above. Noted on this duty May 1953.
Dept No. 17 B1 4-6-0. Allocated to Norwich Thorpe MPD Oct 1963 as BR No. 61059 and transferred to Departmental Stock Dec 7, 1963. It was initially used as an SB at Norwich CS but later also at Lowestoft Central and Yarmouth Vauxhall stations. It was stored at the latter’s MPD during summer 1964 and re-allocated to Ipswich MPD for use at Ipswich station CS during winter 1964/65 (to replace No. 22 [qv]). Officially withdrawn April 1966.
Dept No. 18 B1 4-6-0. Allocated to March MPD Oct 1963 as BR No. 61181 and transferred to Dept stock same day as above. Besides supplying steam at March for the repair shop and for boiler washouts, it was employed, as required, as a heating unit to ensure that the depot’s diesel locomotive fleet remained operational during the winter. Withdrawn Dec 1965.
Dept No. 19 B1 4-6-0. Ex-61204. Transferred to Dept Stock same day as above and used at Norwich CS, Lowestoft Central and Yarmouth Vauxhall stations. Withdrawn Feb 1966.
Dept No. 20 B1 4-6-0. Ex-61205. Transferred to Dept Stock same day as above and used at Norwich CS, Lowestoft Central and Yarmouth Vauxhall stations. Withdrawn March 1965.
Dept No. 21 [2nd] B1 4-6-0. Ex-61233. Details as above but primarily used at Cambridge CS. Withdrawn April 1966. (This was the second use of the number 21 in the Departmental List. The previous bearer was Class Y3 0-4-0T No. 68162, which was withdrawn from Dept Stock in July 1960.)
Dept No. 22 B1 4-6-0. Ex-61252. As above but used at Ipswich station CS. Withdrawn May 1964.
Dept No. 23 B1 4-6-0. Ex-61300. As above but used at Cambridge CS. Withdrawn Nov 1965.
Dept No. 24 B1 4-6-0. Ex-61375. Transferred to Dept stock Dec 7, 1963, it was initially allotted No. 25 but renumbered 24 when the original recipient – No. 61323 [qv] – was prematurely withdrawn. Deployed at King’s Lynn CS and transferred (under its own steam) to Norwich Thorpe MPD on March 5, 1966 as replacement for No.20 [qv]. Withdrawn the following month.
Dept No. 25 B1 4-6-0. Allocated to New England MPD when withdrawn from normal service Jan 1965 as BR No. 61272. It had previously been employed on SB steam-heating duties at Hitchin and continued to be so when transferred to Dept stock and renumbered. In late-1965 it was moved to Colwick MPD to replace No. 61943 [qv] on SB duties, but failed and was withdrawn in Nov 1965, being replaced by No. 29 [qv].
Dept No. 26 B1 4-6-0. Ex-61138. Details as above, but it is believed that it was re-allocated from New England to King’s Lynn then almost immediately to Departmental Stock Jan 1965 and moved to Norwich Thorpe MPD as replacement for No. 20 [qv]. Used at Norwich CS, and either Lowestoft Central or Yarmouth Vauxhall stations and transferred Dec 1965, under its own steam, to March MPD, where it worked as SB to ensure that diesel locos remained operational in winter. Withdrawn 10/67.
Dept No. 27 B1 4-6-0. Used at Hornsey as BR No. 61105 until transferred to Dept Stock Jan 1965. Re-allocated to Parkeston MPD for use at Parkeston Quay station and withdrawn May 1966.
Dept No. 28 B1 4-6-0. Ex-61194. Transferred to Dept stock Aug 29, 1965 and allotted No. 28 but never carried it. Although allocated to Colwick MPD, worked at Thornton Fields CS in Stratford area of east London. Withdrawn June 1966.
Ex-61264. Never employed on carriage-heating, but replaced No. 25 [qv] as
Colwick MPD’s SB after Nov 1965. Withdrawn July 1967 and replaced by BR
No. 75016 [qv]. The B1 is now preserved.
The only ex-LNER type purchased by Woodham Bros. Withdrawn from normal service November 1965 from 16B Colwick shed and from c. January 1966 (when the shed and its locos transferred to the London Midland Region) retained there as a mobile stationary boiler (Departmental Locomotive No 29, replacing fellow B1 Departmental 25) for use as the shed’s stationary boiler rather than the usual pre-heating of carriage stock until withdrawn in July 1967, being replaced by ‘Standard 4’ 75016, (which was itself disposed of in June 1968). Stored at Colwick to c. April 1968. Noted at Coton Hill yard, Shrewsbury by the end of May 1968; sold to Woodham's June 1968; arrived Ebbw Junction during the afternoon of Thursday 18 July 1968 along with 48151. Noted being hauled round the curve west of Cardiff Central Station opposite Canton at 11.15 on 24 July 1968, hauled by ‘Peak’ diesel D84 (45114), already minus its chimney (SR 372, 2010)
Dept No. 30 B1 4-6-0. Officially moved to Canklow MPD from Langwith Jct MPD as No. 61050 Feb 1966, but evidence suggests that it had already been based at Canklow since Oct 1965, employed on carriage-heating at Rotherham Masborough, Heeley and Nunnery sidings. Withdrawn from capital stock Feb 1966, it was transferred to Dept Stock as No. 30 and re-allocated to Barrow Hill MPD in September 1966. Withdrawn April 1968.
Dept No. 31 [2nd] B1 4-6-0. Ex-61051. Details as for No. 30 above. Allotted No. 31 but this was never carried as it was withdrawn almost immediately in March 1966. (This was the second use of the number in the Departmental List. The previous bearer of it was Class J66 0-6-0T No. 68382, which was withdrawn from Departmental Stock in Nov 1959.)
Dept No. 32 [2nd] B1 4-6-0. Ex-61315. Details as for No. 30. Transferred to Dept Stock Feb 1966 and allocated to Barrow Hill MPD. Utilised for carriage heating at Rotherham Masborough. Withdrawn April 1968. (This was the second use of the number in the Departmental List. Previous bearer was Class J66 0-6-0T No. 68370, withdrawn from Department Stock Sep 1962).
Unidentified LNER boilers:
+ A boiler was observed at Thornton Fields CS June 1966, with at least one other visible in the background (see picture above).
+ Hall Hill Sleeper Works, near Boston, reportedly used two large ex-railway boilers. Their identities would be welcomed.
+ In addition to Nos. 3276 to 4444 [qv], at least one other C1 boiler is understood to have been used at Doncaster Works.
+ A boiler,
thought to be ex-loco, was shipped out via Mallaig to the Hebridean
Island of Soay, circa 1946, for SB use at a shark oil factory. It is
believed to be still in situ, albeit disused.
+ It is reported that two C1 Atlantic boilers were in use at Bradford City Road Goods Yard in the mid-1950's, providing steam for a pair of compound hydraulic pumping engines.
75016 Class 4 4-6-0. Withdrawn from normal service at Croes Newydd MPD in July 1967 and used at Colwick MPD (which by then was a diesel depot) as a replacement for Departmental B1 No. 29 [qv]. Disposed of in June 1968.
75067 Class 4 4-6-0. Withdrawn at Eastleigh MPD Oct 1964 and used at Redbridge Sleeper Works until circa Aug 1965.
76045 Class 4 2-6-0. Withdrawn at Carstairs MPD Jan 1966 and used at Greenhill Creosote Works until May 1966.65234
76098 Class 4 2-6-0. Used at Eastfield MPD until Aug 1967. (Replaced by 44796)
Class 4 2-6-4T. Used at Eastfield MPD and Cowlairs CS from May
1967. When it ceased SB use is not known but it was still at the depot in
March 1969. Preserved at Keighley and Worth Valley
Railway from May 20th 1969
90537 WD 8F 2-8-0. Although allocated to Doncaster MPD and not withdrawn from there until June 1966, it was reportedly employed as an SB at Frodingham MPD in winter 1965/66.
92190 9F 2-10-0. Used at Doncaster Oct to Dec 1965.
Industrial and Narrow Gauge
Diana. Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0T. Used as an SB at British Steel Hawarden Bridge from c.1970 to 1974. Scrapped May 1974.
Ffestiniog 0-4-0STT Withdrawn 1940 and used for next
few years as SB to drive steam hammer at Boston Lodge Works
Fonmon. Peckett 0-6-0ST. Rhoose Cement Works c.1964
No.14. Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST was used at Devonport Dockyard (dates not known) and scrapped in 1957
We are indebted to Richard Strange for checking a number of entries against official records, to Peter Jones for providing official BR(W)) documentation, to Keith Gunner for additional Southern information and to Chris Leach of the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Society.
SHEDDING MORE LIGHT . . .
Grateful thanks are extended to the many contributors who have helped make this ground-breaking directory possible and further details are very much welcomed.
Because it would be impractical for The RM to print the whole list again or publish very minor changes, this website has been created especially for the purpose by the Engine Shed Society and this will be kept updated whenever fresh details come to light. Should any major changes or corrections be notified, The RM will alert readers via news items.
If you have amendments or additions, comments, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org or post them to: The Editor, The Railway Magazine, Media Centre, Morton Way, HORNCASTLE, Lincolnshire LN9 6JR and we will pass them on.